This sugar-free and keto caramel sauce is truly unbelievable! In just 15 minutes, you'll end up with a luscious sauce that's shockingly close to the original in both taste and texture. Oh, and no thickener required!
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 17 minutes
Servings: 16 tablespoons
- 56 g butter salted or unsalted*
- ¼ cup to ½ cup Justine’s erythritol ( use ½ cup for sweetest taste)
- 118 ml heavy whipping cream
- ¼ for salted butter used or 3/4 teaspoon kosher for unsalted butter used
- 1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses optional**
- Add butter to a small saucepan over medium/low heat and simmer, stirring every so often, until fully browned (about 5 minutes). Add in Justine’s erythritol, heavy cream and salt (lower amount, see notes), stirring until fully combined. Add in the molasses (optional), and stir briefly until just combined.
- Simmer over very low heat for 15 minutes (don't stir at all!), taste for seasoning and pour into a glass container of choice. Your caramel should be sticky and thick, but still totally pourable.
- Use warm or allow to cool completely, and refrigerate for roughly a week. The caramel will thicken up in the fridge (as does regular dulce de leche), so either bring it back to room temperature or heat it up with a little more heavy cream (or say almond milk!) to thin it out a bit.
- Note: if your caramel splits (too high temperature is usually the culprit!), you might still be able to save it. Remove it from the heat, allow the mixture to cool down for about 5 minutes, bring it back on the stovetop over low heat, and gently whisk in a tablespoon of water until it comes back together (should happen almost instantly).
*I looove salted caramel, and using salted butter adds an incredible depth that you simply don't get by just adding salt. Just be sure to taste for seasoning, as you may not need to add more salt (varies from brand to brand!).
Please note that a batch yields roughly 3/4 cup, and nutrition facts were estimated per tablespoon.
The blackstrap molasses adds 0.4g net carbs a serving (i.e. half the amount of sugar of a strawberry!).
Serving: 1tablespoon | Calories: 52kcal | Carbohydrates: 0.5g | Protein: 0.125g | Fat: 5.5g | Saturated Fat: 3.4g | Cholesterol: 18mg | Sodium: 65mg | Potassium: 12mg | Sugar: 0.3g | Vitamin A: 200IU | Calcium: 7mg